Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holiday Recipes - Cranberry Sauce

Earlier in the month, the EtsyBloggers wanted to know about our favorite holiday recipes, I missed the blog carnival, but I'd still like to share this simple recipe that is sure to impress - homemade whole berry cranberry sauce, that's right FROM SCRATCH. Those two words seem to make people go totally insane "oh my god, you made it from scratch?!?!" Yes, my dear friend, I did...

I always make cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving, then we started having ham on new year's eve, so I would make it then too. This year, we are likely having ham on Christmas eve, so I will make it then. Its really so simple, you can make it anytime you want, assuming you like cranberry sauce enough to eat the whole thing before it goes bad.


Picture from http://www.cookingdebauchery.com/ (I never went to their site, I just Googled pictures of cranberry sauce)


Ingredients:
1 bag of fresh cranberries
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water

Rinse cranberries.
Boil water and sugar, add cranberries, simmer until cranberries pop open, stir occasionally.
Remove from heat, allow to cool, refrigerate until serving time.

Some recipes say to toss it all in the pot and boil it together, you can substitute juice and fake sugar, but it won't gel like regular cranberry sauce will.

If you forget any of the specifics (I do, all the time, I know, how I can I forget the 3 ingredients), doesn't matter, it ALWAYS on the back of the bag of cranberries!

Enjoy the holidays!

No comments: