Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thanksgiving Traditions

The EtsyBloggers pose an interesting question for this month's blog carnival - "What is your favorite tradition for the Thanksgiving holiday?" Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday, we have so many traditions that I am sure I will miss some.

My father, sister and I always make our Thanksgiving stuffing from scratch - ALWAYS. We toast the bread and cut it into chunks, saute celery and onions, brown the sausage, measure out the spices and moisten the whole thing with turkey stock that my father boiled the night before. And we always get a rather larger turkey, I'm talking 25 lbs of turkey! So, in order to have the bird cooked and cool enough to carve by 2 PM we have to start making the stuffing quite early. In fact, we start so early that we are often pretty much done by the time the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade starts.

My mom always makes pumpkin pie and chocolate pudding pie, my aunt always brings apple pie and mince pie. Although, my grandfather was the only one who ate the mince pie so after he died a few years ago, we replaced the mince pie with blueberry pie. Sorry, Grandpa!

My sister always gets one turkey leg, my father always gets the turkey wings, someone always spills the gravy, and I always get the first slice of pumpkin pie.

The traditions have changed slightly since my sister and I got older and I am sure as my son grows up they will continue to evolve. I just hope he enjoys the madness of Thanksgiving as much as I do!

Happy Thanksgiving!
~Melissa~

As a thank you to those of you who read this silly little blog post, I offer free shipping on any purchase in my shop, just put "TG Blog" in the notes to seller and I will send you a refund via PayPal.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Sounds like a great tradition, with lots of fun and laughs too!