Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fingerless Gloves - My First Attempt

As you know from yesterday's post, my hands are VERY cold. I need to be able to type and text and drive and all those other things that people need to do, but I need my hands to be warm and not totally numb. I started thinking about fingerless gloves, I looked around Etsy and found some awesome pairs. But, then I got to thinking - I don't want to wait for these things to be shipped to me, my hands need warmth now. I am crafty, I'll bet I can make a pair... I jumped on Ravelry.com and started hunting for patterns. I found some awesome ones, but decided to start simple and chose this one from Marlo's Crochet Corner.

I dug through my yarn stash (all 4 storage bins) and came up with some Paton's Classic merino wool in black. The pattern called for worsted weight, and I thought this was a little thin, so I added some miscellaneous thread weight gray yarn that somehow wound up in my possession.

Here is a photo of the main body - before thumb and trim:
Fingerless Glove - Before Thumb


I kinda liked is this way, but really wanted to see if I could do the thumb. So, I carried on. The pattern called for a row of single crochet at the top near the fingers and at the cuffs. I modified it slightly - I did two rounds of whip stitching across the top near the fingers, added a row of slip stitch around the thumb and did two rows of half double crochet at the cuff. This is how it came out:
Fingerless Glove - After Thumb


I love it! The top is low enough so that I can still wear my rings and the cuff is long enough to keep me warm but not so long that its uncomfortable. Now comes the challenge - making the second one exactly the same.... Yep... the second one is slightly shorter, I must have missed stitch somewhere even though I was so careful in counting.

After wearing them for a few days, I think I will try making another pair without the thumb. I am thinking, one pair in brown (to match my brown work outfits) and one pair in a fun color - perhaps red or purple or stripes - to wear at home on the weekends.

1 comment:

PurrPrints said...

thx for the link--i've been wanting to crochet some fingerless gloves for myself too