I dug through my yarn stash (all 4 storage bins) and came up with some Paton's Classic merino wool in black. The pattern called for worsted weight, and I thought this was a little thin, so I added some miscellaneous thread weight gray yarn that somehow wound up in my possession.
Here is a photo of the main body - before thumb and trim:
I kinda liked is this way, but really wanted to see if I could do the thumb. So, I carried on. The pattern called for a row of single crochet at the top near the fingers and at the cuffs. I modified it slightly - I did two rounds of whip stitching across the top near the fingers, added a row of slip stitch around the thumb and did two rows of half double crochet at the cuff. This is how it came out:
I love it! The top is low enough so that I can still wear my rings and the cuff is long enough to keep me warm but not so long that its uncomfortable. Now comes the challenge - making the second one exactly the same.... Yep... the second one is slightly shorter, I must have missed stitch somewhere even though I was so careful in counting.
After wearing them for a few days, I think I will try making another pair without the thumb. I am thinking, one pair in brown (to match my brown work outfits) and one pair in a fun color - perhaps red or purple or stripes - to wear at home on the weekends.