Monday, May 11, 2009

One in a Million

I'm a little late in posting this tribute, but its the first chance I've had to sit down and blog in the last week. On Monday morning, May 4 my grandmother died, she had a massive stroke on Friday morning and somehow managed to hang in there through the weekend. She is survived by her 3 children and their spouses and her 7 grandchildren plus one grandson-in-law and a great grandson (my little guy).

Everyone who knew my grandmother always said that she was a beautiful woman, and she truly was. She always wore brown and earth tones and loved pearls, her clothes were always perfectly pressed and always fit her like a glove. Listening to people talk about her, I learned something that I never knew - my grandmother was a model before she got married. While it surprised me to hear it, I don't doubt it at all. She always stood tall and her presence was always felt. She always said how proud she was that I inherited her black hair and that we were born in the same month and how we were both perfect Scorpios.

There are a lot of things I will remember about my grandmother, but there is one thing that will stick in my head, it's a conversation we had back in January. I'm sitting on the couch next to her and out of the blue she says to me "Do you know how beautiful you are?" I was stunned by the question and obviously didn't answer quick enough and she went around the room asking people if they thought I was beautiful. Of course they all said yes, being a smart ass, I said "They have to say yes, I am sitting right here!" but of course, it was just to cover up the tears that were welling in my eyes.

That day my grandmother told me this, and I think its something that applies to everyone. Every morning when you look in the mirror, you should say to yourself "I am beautiful. I am worth something. I am someone important."

Thank you Grandma, I'll miss you. I only wish we had more time together, I feel as though there was so much about you that I didn't know.

No comments: